EU Health Insurance

European citizens can apply for the FREE EU Health Insurance WebsiteEU Health Insurance Card that covers common Healthcare treatment whilst temporarily staying in the UK or another EU Country.

EHIC Information For HungaryNHS EHIC

An EHIC Card can save you a lot of money towards any received healthcare treatment. It could even be free or minimal cost.

How To Apply For A National Insurance Number

National Insurance Number Requirements

In order to work in England (UK), receive general hospital treatment and receive certain state (government) benefits - such as a State Pension, Jobseeker's Allowance, Maternity Allowance and Bereavement Benefits - you MUST National Insurance Number Web Pageapply for a National Insurance (N.I) Number; if you do NOT already have one. It acts like a personal account number, made up of letters and numbers, that once issued never changes.

NOTE WELL: Depending on your specific circumstances (i.e. visa status), you may have a National Insurance (NI) Number printed on the back of your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) Web PageBiometric Residence Permit (BRP); in which case, you do NOT need to apply for a (another) National Insurance Number.

Your N.I number will be asked for by your employer, by your bank, when filling out job application forms and tax forms, when Register To Vote Web Pageregistering to vote, when applying for a student loan and maybe by the council. It might also be asked for when visiting a hospital for treatment.

When Apply For NHS Card Web Pageregistering with a doctor or Register With A Dentiist Web Pageregistering with a dentist you will be asked for your NHS Number and not your N.I Number, although they can ask for your N.I Number if they wish. Your N.I Number is usually needed by official government organisations and/or departments.


You can only apply for a National Insurance Number if you have a right to work or study in the UK. And you can only apply by telephone, ONCE YOU ARE INSIDE THE UK. You can NOT apply by post (mail) or online for example. ONLY BY TELEPHONE.

The application telephone number to call is: 0345 600 0643. The textphone number is: 0345 600 0644. Lines are open Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm. On top of the routine Name, Address and D.O.B (date of birth) questions, you will also be asked "When did you arrive in the UK?" and "Why do you need a National Insurance number?".


Once you have answered the just mentioned type of telephone questions you will be given, over the phone, an appointment to visit an allocated job centre; for interview and national insurance purposes. You will also be sent a confirmation/reminder letter for that appointment in the post.


When you attend your job centre appointment, you will be asked for certain documents relating to your identification (such as passport and proof of address) whereby the interviewer, upon acceptance of your shown documents, will begin to interview you while filling out your 'Apply for N.I Number' application form. A week or so later your N.I Number should arrive in the post.

Here are the main, accepted, 'proofs of identification' you should take to your job centre interview; if they are applicable to you and you have them of course.

Here are the main, accepted, 'proofs of address' you should take to your job centre interview; if they are applicable to you and you have them of course.

If you have already begun work (or have a job offer), you must provide a letter (or e-mail) from your current (or potential) employer showing details of the, original, job offer.

National Insurance CLASS SYSTEM

Regardless if you are an employer (boss), employee (worker), self-employed (your own boss) or unemployed, in some way you are obliged to pay a National Insurance contribution. This is NOT a tax that the government keeps, but a contribution that goes towards paying for your healthcare (i.e. Doctor Consultations and Hospital Visits) and welfare (State Pension and other government benefits).

The amount of national insurance you contribute from your salary each week, month and year depends on your particular National Insurance Class SystemNational Insurance Classification.


Employees (Class 1) normally contribute 12% of their salary to N.I whereas a self-employed person (Class 2) earning around £12,000 per year will normally contribute £148.20 per year (£2.85 per week).

At this point it looks like self-employment is better than being an employee, but it is not! Why? Because a self-employed person cannot contribute towards Additional State Pension. Hence one reason why employees pay more in N.I contributions. I say "normally" because you may have to pay other N.I contributions (such as Class 4) if you are self-employed and/or earn a lot of profit (i.e. 9% on profits between £8,164 and £45,000 and 2% on profits over £45,000).


Class 3 of the National Insurance class system is for people who have National Insurance Gap YearsGap Years in their overall 'Contributions Record', perhaps because they were living abroad and/or not working for example. Either way, to get a Full State PensionFull State Pension (as opposed to a Basic State PensionBasic State Pension) you need to have worked and therefore contributed towards annual National Insurance contributions for a minimum of 30 Years. If you cannot achieve this, you will not receive a full state pension when you retire. You might, depending on your particular circumstances, receive a basic state pension instead; or perhaps less.

NOTE: The full state pension currently pays a maximum of £159.55 per week whereas the basic state pension currently pays a maximum of £122.30 per week. The full state pension has since changed (as of 6th April 2016) to become the New State PensionNew State Pension whereby you only need a minimum of 10 qualifying years to qualify for a Basic State Pension, but now need 35 years to qualify for a New (Full) State Pension.

To find out if you have gaps in your National Insurance 'Contributions Record', you need to visit the HMRC (Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs) website and ask for a National Insurance StatementNational Insurance Statement. After filling out that online form, HMRC will then send you a letter detailing what years, if any, you can pay back in order to fill those gap years as paid. If you need to know what you have paid already you should request the State Pension StatementState Pension Statement instead.

NOTE: You must say which years you want your National Insurance Statement to cover (i.e. 1980 to 2013) - You cannot request statements for the current or previous tax year due to the length of the enquiry into what you have and have not paid. In other words, it takes HMRC ages to send you the statement!


If have lost or forgotten your Nation Insurance number, for whatever reason(s), you need to fill out Lost Or Forgotten National Insurance Number - Form CA5403Form CA5403 or call the National Insurance Registrations helpline on 0300 200 3502. You can fill out the form electronically, print it and then send it to:

National Insurance contributions and Employers Office
HM Revenue and Customs