999 Emergency Web Page999 is the telephone number to call for any emergency in the UK. After answering questions from a 999 operator, the Ambulance Service Web PageAmbulance Service, Fire Brigade WebsiteFire Brigade and/or Police WebsitePolice will come to your aid.

EU 112 Emergency ServiceEU 112 Emergency Service

The EU has provided 112 for you to dial in an emergency. It works anywhere within Europe and is free to call.

EU Health Insurance

UK Citizens and European UK Residents can apply for the FREE EU Health Insurance WebsiteEU Health Insurance Card that covers common Healthcare treatment whilst staying in another EU Country.

EHIC Information For HungaryNHS EHIC

An EHIC Card can save you a lot of money towards any received healthcare treatment. It could even be free or minimal cost.

NHS Health Apps

The NHS has apps that can help you Quit Smoking (NHS SmokeFree AppiPhone and NHS SmokeFree AppAndroid), Control Your Weight (BMI / Body Mass Index) (NHS BMI AppiPhone) and Track (Monitor) Your Drinking (NHS Drinks Tracker AppiPhone and NHS Drinks Tracker AppAndroid).

NHS Health Check AppNHS Healthcare App

The NHS also has a wealth of healthcare information and advice on its NHS Tools Library Web PageTools Library) web page.

How To Apply For A National Health Service Card

NHS Medical Card - EHIC Card - GP Surgery Requirements

When you first arrive in England (UK) register yourself, and any children you have, with a Doctor (GP / General Practitioner) straight away. This is because it can take 2-10 Weeks for your NHS Medical Card to arrive in the post, once registered, but normally up to 2 Weeks only. Either way, try and NHS Services Searchfind a Doctor (GP Surgery) in your local area to register with.

This is because one requirement of a GP Surgery these days is that you live locally, within the surgery's own postcode (town). If you live outside of their postcode (town) but within the same borough (district), you can still register with that GP Surgery. However, you will be limited by its services.


As an example: If you live locally, the doctor can come to your house in urgent, non-emergency, cases to deliver drugs to you and/or to diagnose your problems; which is great if you have difficulty walking to the gp surgery for example. If you live too far out though, but within the same borough (district), the doctor might not offer the same callout services. Your prescription drugs may have to be collected from the surgery or pharmacy, by a family member for example.


When you arrive at the reception of the GP Surgery, ask the receptionist for NHS Number Registration Form GMS1Registration Form GMS1 (new registrant). That form asks simple, personal detail, questions such as your Name, Address, D.O.B (Date of Birth), Previous Doctor (if any) and NHS Number; which you can leave blank because you will not have one - You will get one after registration.


Before the receptionist processes (checks and send off) your registration form they should ask you for your current, valid, Passport or Driving Licence and some form of current, valid, proof of current address, such as a recent Council Tax, Gas, Electricity, Water or Telephone (Landline) bill. Normally two proofs of current address are required, which they may photocopy. Current normally means latest or within 3 Months.

If you are registering a child, the receptionist will also want to see its 'Red Book' (its Hospital details from when it was born together with any immunisation records). Also take the child's birth certificate.

NOTE: If your child does not have a 'Red Book', you need to call your local authoritie's Health Visitor department whereby they then make an appointment to see your child in your home (for informal assessment only) in order to create a red book for your child later; which you then collect from their main office.


The GP Surgery (receptionist) will send your completed form to their local NHS Commissioning Board (technically, the old Department of Health) whereby your medical records will be processed (digitally databased) before being sent back computerised to your new GP Surgery and therefore to your new Doctor. The Hospitals will also have access to your new computerised medical records.

The NHS, and England in general, is very 'Online' these days. For example: An ambulance crew who save your life in the street, after you have collapsed for example, can instantly check your medical history online. If your GP (Doctor) is not working today, his colleagues (other doctors within the same GP Surgery) can treat you because they will have access to your computerised medical records.


If you want to see a Doctor (GP) and are visiting an area (town) for more than 24 hours but less than three months, you can register with a GP Surgery as a temporary resident. You will need to fill out Registration Form GMS3Registration Form GMS3.


When your NHS (National Health Service) Medical Card arrives in the post, KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE and WRITE DOWN YOUR NHS NUMBER STRAIGHT AWAY. Ideally, write it in your 'Little Black Book', Diary and/or on your Mobile Phone. Although you do NOT need your NHS Number to receive nhs treatment (because you pay National Insurance contributions for example) or to register with a GP Surgery, it does help to have it to hand when needed.

The card itself is no longer a piece of paper or plastic card. It is a piece of thin plastic coated paper in the shape of a credit card, so be careful with it because it is not as durable. Saying this, English people do NOT tend to carry their Passport, NHS Medical Card and so on with them, in their purse or wallet, simply because we know what a pain it is to have them replaced when they are lost, stolen or damaged. We usually keep them in a kitchen drawer or similar place in the house.

NOTE WELL - A NHS Medical Card is FREE. Furthermore, it is free to replace and free to have the address details associated with it updated; so ignore any website that is charging for a NHS Medical Card. ALWAYS use the NHS website only or get advice from any GP Surgery. When you have your address changed you receive a new NHS Medical Card in the post.


The NHS Medical Card is NOT a Health Insurance Card as such, simply because NHS treatment does NOT require you to produce a NHS Medical Card in order to receive nhs treatment. Furthermore, if you go on holiday abroad, it will NOT cover your hospital treatment for example in another country. For holiday abroad purposes you need to get yourself a FREE EU Health Insurance WebsiteEU Health Insurance Card (EHIC Card).

An European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows you to receive healthcare at a reduced cost or sometimes free when in another EU Country, such as Hungary. It will cover you for treatment that is needed to allow you to continue your stay in that other EU Country (i.e. Hungary) until your planned return to the UK.

It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care, as long as you are not going abroad to give birth. More information about specific EHIC rules in relation to other EU Countries can be found on the NHS EHIC Country By Country Web PageCountry By Country web page. Example: EHIC Hungary Web PageHungary.

NOTE WELL - An EHIC Card is FREE. Furthermore, it is free to renew and free to have the address details associated with it updated; so ignore any website that is charging for an EHIC Card and EHIC Services. ALWAYS use the NHS website only or call their EHIC Hotline on 0300 3301350. When you have your address changed you will not receive a new EHIC Card simply because an EHIC Card does not have your address printed on it.